Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Sew Must Go On!

After signing up for the Sassy Flirty Apron Swap while I was back home in Seattle, I found a great pattern and made a practice apron to test it out; cute pattern and not too difficult! Not long after my practice apron was complete, I headed back to Minnesota (where I’m originally from) to finish school at the University of Minnesota. I thought I would have so much fun sewing aprons, bags, and curtains with my mom’s old machine. As it turned out she either lost it, gave it away, or it’s hiding in a very dark corner somewhere in the attic.

What a bummer!

I had the fabric ready to go, but no machine. I looked around at some local kitchen shops and fancy stores, but I couldn’t bring myself to purchase a readymade apron for my apron swap partner.

To the rescue… a good old fashion, slow go, desk top machine, I inherited it from my Grandma Sebe. She used to make my sister and me so many cute doll clothes, blankies, and Christmas ornaments. She also taught me how to make lefse, but that will come in handy for a different kind of swap, I hope!

So I picked up the machine last weekend and had one night to whip up a great apron and ship it to my swap buddy in New York so she’d get it in time for Valentine’s Day. Unfortunately there were many kinks in the machine and I quickly found out that reverse is not always an option and slow is better than fast, but all and all I was delighted to be using my Grandma’s machine while making a wonderful gift for a stranger.

Hope you have a happy happy, sassy flirty, hot & spicy Valentine’s Day!




No comments: